Sunday, December 19, 2010

My Eyes are Bleeding: Travel Woes

Yesterday I had the displeasure of spending my entire day (and according to my departure location much of another) in transit. Whether it was on the airplane or in the airport, many of my precious hours were spent en route between Krakow, Poland and my home in San Antonio. I would say that I am really not looking forward to returning to Switzerland in mid-January, but it may actually not be that bad. The reason is the horrifying level of over-weight and obese people in America, which not only irritated me, but disgusted me for a large portion of my travel.

I nearly froze to death in Poland when I carried my bags to catch a ride to the airport. My flight was delayed an hour to Munich so my plane to America was held so that I (and a few others) could be rushed through security. I spent over ten hours sitting in the same spot with a rather annoying child in front of me. I survived Chicago O’Hare airport, and in particular the ever-demonized TSA. I wouldn’t have even minded the “random” search that officials may choose to do on me on account of my complexion. What stood out and pained me the most was the stark contrast between beautiful, fit, and well-groomed women of Poland and the obesity of flabby-land America.

One reads statistics about the state of America’s overweight and obese all the time. It isn’t news, but seeing the clear difference in the flesh (too much flesh) between Poland and America was even more mind-boggling. I’ve seen it before, but every time I fly from Europe to America I am struck by this difference.

The worst part is that it isn’t a personal problem. I can’t console myself by saying that these obese and overweight Americans are simply using their freedom to do whatever they want with their body (no matter how detrimental and repulsive it may be). No, Americans have to realize that these overweight and obese people cost us all a lot of money and heartache. Our deficit is dominated by social security and Medicare / Medicaid. Is it any coincidence America spends so much money on healthcare when such a large part of the population is unhealthy? I think not.

America is being suffocated by the overweight and obese. Perhaps I sound harsh, but the only way to reverse this trend is to educate people on the ills of unhealthy eating habits and to not allow this phenomenon to become socially acceptable. I don’t mean go out and ridicule the overweight, but I think you know what I mean….

No comments:

Post a Comment